If you’ve visited our Museums recently, you’ve likely been asked if you would like to make a donation to the Foundation. Congratulations! You have already taken part in our Visitor Giving program.
The goal of the program is simple: give visitors a chance to give back to the Museum they love with a donation at admissions.
But even simple programs leave room for questions. Here are answers to a few of the most common:
What is the Canada Science and Technology Museums Corporation Foundation?
We are a national, non-profit supporting the Canada Agriculture and Food Museum, Canada Aviation and Space Museum, and Canada Science and Technology Museum through the Canada Science and Technology Museums Corporation.
Aren’t the Museums already completely government funded?
The government funds Museum operations, but the Foundation raises money to support special projects, programs, and restorations, and to make the Museums accessible to underprivileged visitors.
What does my donation support?
- Bringing underprivileged children to the Museum for a day of hands-on learning free of charge
- Developing educational gaming apps, like the popular Ace Academy series
- Creating national programs (travelling exhibitions, educational activity kits, websites, apps, 3D printing) that share the Museums with Canadians who might never have the chance to visit
- Supporting Capital Projects like the renewal of the Canada Science and Technology Museum and the Learning Centre at the Canada Agriculture and Food Museum.
- Making projects like The Legacy Project possible. The Legacy Project is a student-led documentary that has interviewed more than 35 veterans of the Second World War. This film will honour veterans’ legacies, and be available for free download for teachers across Canada.
- Launching programs like Museum on the Go. This mobile program brings “best of” activities from the Canada Science and Technology Museums to schools, daycares, libraries, and community organizations.
- Restoring artifacts, including aircraft like the North Star and locomotives like The Shay.
Is the Foundation a registered charity?
Yes. It received charitable status on April 1, 2008. Its CRA charitable number is 821123619 RR 0001.
Will I receive a tax receipt for my donation?
The Foundation issues tax receipts for donations of $20 or more.
Still have questions? Contact Gillian Portt at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-462-1943.